11.10.2010

Xmas Songs for Scrooges and Grinches - Holiday Tunes That Don't Make My Teeth Ache

Xmas is coming, sort of, eventually; time to start force-feeding the goose. And time for me to wear ear plugs in chain drugstores because most Christmas music sends me looking for bridges and open windows on high floors.

Below, an incomplete list of holiday songs I can tolerate and some I even like:
(NOTE: in many cases, the vids are lame – I am providing links largely for the music):

Christmas, Baby Please Come Home – Darlene Love and Phil Specter and some backup mix of his regular crew of girls; plus Phil Spector’s bizarre-o spoken Christmas message to You, the Listener – where he sounds a hell of a lot like Squiggy -- at the beginning (or maybe it’s at the end?) of his iconic Xmas album (couldn’t find a sound clip)

Christmas Time Is Here - Vince Guaraldi Trio doing any part of the Charlie Brown Xmas special score 

Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth - David Bowie and Bing Crosby's freakazoid yet beautiful duet of “Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth” 

Christmas for the Jews - Darlene Love SNL Claymation Short-- I started humming this on Nov 1

The Who Song (Welcome Christmas) - from The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, of course. I always think of it as "Yahoo Doray."
Also, “You’re a Mean One, Mister Grinch,” though not sure this actually counts as a holiday song

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - warbled tremulously by Judy Garland in Meet Me in St. Louis (grab a full box of Kleenex before you click!) 

Run, Run Rudolph -Chuck Berry


Little Saint Nick - The Beach Boys - 

Blue Christmas -  from the Elvis '68 Comeback Special
(I must say, I’m right there with the screaming chicks – sexiest rendition of a xmas song ever?)


Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt  

Let It Snow Dean Martin rendition (suave) – I’ve brought me some corn for poppin…
Let It Snow Sinatra rendition (swingin’)


O Holy Night - Paul Schaeffer’s 15 second impersonation of Cher singing “O Holy Night” 

What’s on your list? Check it twice, naughty or nice!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you'll respect me in the morning: I can often be found HOWLING Wham!'s Last Christmas in my car alone during the month of December. Such cheese, so good.

    ReplyDelete